Chromebook Rights and Responsibilities
Discover what can be accomplished with your new device by visiting the D225 Chromebook Resources website.
- Getting started and basic information;
- Tools and resources for Google Suite and Google Classroom;
- District-wide apps; and
- Troubleshooting and frequently asked questions.
Responsibilities and Care
A Chromebook is a delicate electronic device and must be treated with care.
By signing this document, it is agreed that students will:
- Not leave the device unattended;
- Keep food or drink away from the device;
- Adhere to insurance guidelines as documented below;
- Pay the annual fee online or at the annual book sale event;
- Notify the bookstore immediately if the device is lost and reimburse the district for the replacement cost; and
- Return or purchase the device if the student leaves the district, or it shall be considered theft.
A total fee of $300 will be charged, payable in $100 increments each year, and is to be paid online or at the bookstore. Students will own their devices once the installments have been paid in full. The annual fee will be waived for students qualifying for free and reduced lunch and those with identified assistive technology needs. As part of this fee, student devices are covered by a one-year manufacturer warranty (defect or failure) and eligible for the insurance coverage as outlined below. Students will be provided with a loaner device during any repair process.
Each eligible insurance incident will be assessed as a claim deductible. The deductible will be $50 for claims that result in a device repair. If the damage or loss is such that the device cannot be repaired and a full replacement is needed, the deductible will be $100. (Deductibles will not be waived for students qualifying for free and reduced lunch). All claims must be filed within 5 days of the incident. Incidents include:
- Accidental damage caused by liquid spills, drops, or any other unintentional event;
- Vandalism, Theft, Fire (requires a police report be filed, where the device is listed as stolen);
- Electrical surge;
- Natural disasters; and
- Warranty issues outside of the warranty period.
Insurance coverage for Chromebooks will remain in effect until the last day of student attendance at the Glenbrooks.
Items Not Covered by Insurance/ Responsibility of Family
If a Chromebook is not covered by the insurance program, it will be the responsibility of the family to purchase a replacement device. The cost of a replacement Chromebook is $300. Examples of situations that are not covered by the insurance program include:
- Loss of device;
- Dishonest, fraudulent, intentional, negligent, or criminal acts;
- Consumables including but not limited to the case, charger, digital stylus, and software;
- Cosmetic damage that does not affect the functionality of the device; and
- Incidents reported outside of the allowed period of time.
Forget Your Chromebook, Charger, or Calculator?
Students can visit the bookstore and borrow a Chromebook, charger, or calculator. Equipment is available for $1 per calendar day and must be prepaid. This cost is not covered by the financial assistance program.
Students are required to return any borrowed equipment by the end of the day. Students that do not return equipment will be charged for each day the equipment is not returned, which may result in a referral to the dean’s office.